Disney Vacation 2012 – Day 7


Saturday was our day to travel home. We had a lot of work to do. Over the last 6 days we got ourselves comfortable in our home away from home. We had laundry to do, dishes to clean, drawers to unload, phone chargers and cables to find and bags to re-pack. Because we had a washer and dryer in our condo, we were able to go home with suitcases full of clean clothes. And boy were those bags full. We had collected a few take-home trinkets and gifts for friends. I was afraid we weren’t going to get the bags zipped up, but Megan was able to get creative with the packing and we got everything closed up.

We made it out of the room just in time for check-out. We used the Disney Magical Express curb-side check-in, so we got our bags checked and our boarding passed right there at the resort. On one hand, it was a bit weird leaving the bags there at the resort, trusting that we would see them again in Chicago. On the other hand, it was a great convenience not having to worry about getting the bags to the bus, off the bus, through the airport, then checked back in. Disney really has this vacation thing down.

We had a few hours to kill after dropping off our luggage, so we hopped back on the resort-loop monorail to check out the Polynesian and Grand Floridian resorts. The first stop was the Polynesian where we saw some Hawaiian dancers dancing to live music. The boys danced along and got a huge roll of stickers from the guy at the Disney Vacation Club desk. Tate stuck most of them on Jasper.

After a stop at the Kona Café for lunch, we got back on the monorail for a walk through the Grand Floridian resort. The Grand Floridian is quite spectacular. It is done up in an old-south elegant style, with marble floors and “salons” instead of shops. I think we might need to stay there for one of our next vacations.

We got on the Magical Express and rode out to the airport. Jasper fell asleep in my arms on the way. We had plenty of time before our flight, so we explored the airport a bit. There are a lot of shops at the Orlando airport. It may as well be a regular shopping mall that happens to have flight terminals. There happened to be a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop in the food court, so we stopped for a snack before heading through security.

On our way here, Megan didn’t have her ID. On our way out, Molly got flagged for explosives screening and we forgot to empty out the water bottle in Megan’s bag, so she had to go back through security. After a bit of hassle, we made it through and were on our way to our gate. Some day we’ll get this airport security thing figured out.

Looking out the window of the airplane over the wingThe flight home was a bit bumpy, but went well enough. Neither boy slept this time. We tried to have a bit of dinner on the plane, but with the bumpy ride, nobody had much of an appetite. We had to sit on the taxiway for about 15 minutes because we got in early and the previous plane at our gate hadn’t left yet. We were all pretty impatient to get off the plane.

We picked up our bags (after a long wait to get the stroller from the oversized baggage counter) and stepped back out into the cold, into reality.

On the drive home, we remembered that we didn’t have anything to eat in the house. So, we stopped at the “Steal Your Treasure Island” to pick up enough to tide us over until we could get a Peapod delivery. Finally, we were able to go home.

We pulled around our corner to find our street unplowed and no good parking available. We slid and mashed our way into an open spot and unloaded. The boys got ready for bed and we shared a bedtime snack to settle the last few rumbles in our tummies.

Sleep came easy.

Now, reality looms and I have many things to take care of: fixing the flat tire, getting the car in for an oil change, work…

I preferred vacation.

This entry was posted in family and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.